Thread: Bare External/Internal HDD gets hot

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    631 Posts

Bare External/Internal HDD gets hot

Just checking to see if any of you ever use internal hard drive disks in a HDD dock and leave it on while your computer is on for storage, retrieval and viewing through your computer. And if you do, does it get very hot to the touch? I mean Hot. I just started doing this after I backed up another Western Digital external HDD in it's own enclosure as it's getting old and slow to wake up.
    Apparently my computer was indexing the new bare HDD (3.5 inch, 7200RPM 6GB p/s, 2TB Hitachi enterprise type for surveillance cams, raid arrays and 24 hour on). I kept hearing it running so I touched it and it was so hot, I ejected it and shut it down.
    Maybe the problem is the "refurbished" HDD or the dock or both. I don't have a clue even after searching the problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and input.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    16,422 Posts

Re: Bare External/Internal HDD gets hot

Never had one so hot I couldn't touch it. They do get hot if they are in constant use, maybe the indexing was keeping it running too long?
    Generally a drive will shut itself down (sleep mode) if not in use and take a few seconds to come to life when you need it.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    631 Posts

Re: Bare External/Internal HDD gets hot

I think it Was the indexing of 2TBs and this dock doesn't sleep like a pre-enclosed Westerm Digital, etc. HDD. I even put this bare drive on the Do Not Index list of my OS.
    I bought a G Tech GForce until I figure this 'cost saving' HDD destroying dock and bare HDD issue out.
    Thanks.